1 a soft silver-white or yellowish metallic element of the alkali metal group; turns yellow in air; occurs in celestite and strontianite [syn: strontium, atomic number 38]
2 the unit of solid angle adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites [syn: steradian]sr. adj : used of the older of two persons of the same name especially used to distinguish a father from his son; "Bill Adams, Sr." [syn: elder, older]
- Symbol for strontium.
Sr. or Sr (British)
EtymologyShortened form of Señor.
abbreviation SpanishSr. or Sr
SR, in each context, may stand for:
- Saudi riyal, the currency of Saudi Arabia.
- Slovak Republic
- Socialist Republic, as in "SR Serbia", "SR Croatia", etc.
- Suriname (ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country code)
- Socialist-Revolutionary, as in Socialist-Revolutionary Party.
- Sørvágs Róðrarfelag, a Faroese rowing association.
- Saarländischer Rundfunk, a German regional public broadcasting company.
- Sveriges Radio, Sweden's national publicly-funded radio broadcasting company.
- Strontium, a chemical element of atomic number 38
- sr stands for steradian, the SI unit of solid angle.
- Sedimentation rate, shorter form of the medical term Erythrocyte Sedimentation rate
- Sarcoplasmic reticulum, a structure found within muscle cells
- Single-reduction, a type of steam turbine
- Sinus rhythm, the pattern made by a healthy heart on an electrocardiogram
- Special relativity, a theory of space and time created by physicist Albert Einstein
- Strouhal number, a number used to describe oscillating flow mechanisms
- Sustained release formulation of a medicine, e.g. Wellbutrin SR
- Synchrotron radiation, electromagnetic radiation from charged particles moving in magnetic fields
- Systematic review standardized review
- SR flip-flop circuit, an electronic logic device
- SR programming language, a concurrent computer programming language
- Shift register, a group of processor registers set up in a linear fashion
- Selective repeat, a type of Automatic Repeat-reQuest Protocol.
- Speech recognition, the process of converting speech to text.
- Silk Road, a historically-significant interconnected series of caravan and ocean vessel trading routes across south-east Asia
- Southern Railway (UK)
- Southern Railway (US)
- State Road / State Route, a road designation system in the U.S. state system
- Swissair (IATA code)
- Nissan SR engine
- Straylight Run, an American alternative/indie band.
- School Rumble, an anime and manga series.
- Shadowrun, a cyberpunk fantasy roleplaying game.
- Simply Red, a pop/rock band
- Skarloey Railway, a fictional railway in both The Railway Series and Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends by W.V. Awdry
- Sonic Riders or Sonic R, both racing video games from the Sonic the Hedgehog series
- Sonic Rush, a video game
- Steve Rothery, the guitarist of Marillion
- Superman Returns, a 2006 film based on the iconic superhero
- Spelling reform, demonstrably different from simplified spelling (particularly in the case of Hebrew).
- scoville rating, a measure of the "hotness" of a chili pepper
- Seaman Recruit, the lowest enlisted rank in the U.S. Navy and Coast Guard
- Suburban Rhythm, a ska/punk band
=Sr.= Sr. may stand for:
Sr in Czech: SR
Sr in German: SR
Sr in Spanish: SR
Sr in Esperanto: Sr
Sr in French: SR
Sr in Korean: SR
Sr in Indonesian: SR
Sr in Italian: SR
Sr in Dutch: Sr
Sr in Japanese: SR
Sr in Polish: Sr
Sr in Portuguese: SR
Sr in Kölsch: SR (Watt ėßß datt?)
Sr in Finnish: Sr
Sr in Swedish: SR
Sr in Chinese: Sr